Kardashian Hairstylist Andrew Fitzsimons On The Cost Of Luxury And His New Brand
Heads up, beauty gurus! After two decades tending to some of the most recognizable tresses on the globe—including those of all of the Kardashian sisters and Megan Fox—celebrity hairstylist Andrew Fitzsimons has finally launched his very own haircare brand.
And it’s not only salon-performance, but accessibly-priced.
The line—Andrew Fitzsimons Haircare—launches with 26 care and styling products today, available exclusively at Boots locations in Ireland and the UK and Boots.co.uk today (with a US launch in Ulta soon to follow), priced between £9 and £13.
“I’ve known for quite some time that I wanted to disrupt this sector of the haircare market,” Fitzsimons tells me. “I come from a humble background, so it’s been my dream to create products for women like my mum who aren’t able to spend £40 on a shampoo but absolutely deserve a great experience.”
Fitzsimons and his team have spent four years developing the brand behind the scenes, only revealing small hints that an eponymous brand might be in the wings via Instagram over the last month.
“I’ve been dying to put this brand out into the world for so long,” he continues. “When I started work on it we obviously didn’t know there would be a global pandemic.”
Still, the unexpected delay gave Fitzsimons time to refine all formulas and extend the brand’s initial offering into five mix-and-match haircare collections, plus a styling range:
• VIRGIN REPAIR LINE WITH CERAMIDES FOR DAMAGED HAIR: Ideal for damaged and/or weakened hair, this collection strengthens the hair structure with an innovative formula featuring ceramides that works to revitalize and regenerate dry, damaged hair, protecting against further breakage from chemical, thermal, environmental stressors and styling effects.
Products include: Restructuring Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Restructuring Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, Restructuring Mask (UK only), £13.00, AF1 Restructuring Leave-in Conditioner, £11.00/€16.99, and Restructuring Serum, £13.00/€16.99.
• FANTASY CURLS LINE WITH AMINO ACIDS FOR 3A-4C CURL TYPES: Formulated to cater to 3A-4C curls, this nourishing collection provides long lasting curl definition for smooth, manageable, bouncy curls. Containing amino acids for strength and pro-keratin to rejuvenate dry hair, controlling volume and taming frizz without stripping the hairs natural oils.
Products include: Nourishing Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Nourishing Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, Nourishing Mask, £13.00/€16.99, Nourishing Serum, £13.00/€16.99, Curl Crème, £11.00/€14.49, Curl Amplify Texture Spray (UK only), £11.00, and Detangle, Define & Refresh Spray (UK only), £11.00.
• BODY VOLUME LINE WITH CAFFEINE: Ideal for thin and fine hair, this unique product collection formulated with caffeine is designed to nourish, texturize and lift adding weightless body and conditioning treatments that fill in missing keratin found naturally in hair follicles give hair a soft weightless finish for lasting shape. Products include: Boosting Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Boosting Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, and Blowdry Hold Spray, £9.00/€11.99.
• PRISM SHINE LINE WITH HYALURONIC ACID: Suitable for most hair types, this collection is designed to provide extreme shine, moisturize and reduce frizz while improving manageability and protecting from the return of dullness. Infused with a Hyaluronic Acid protein complex, this range replenishes fibers from root to tip, detangling and softening leaving strands silky, supple and with maximum shine. Products include: Glossy Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Glossy Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, and Invisible Shine Spray, £11.00/€14.49.
• AMYTHEST BLONDE LINE WITH ULTRAVIOLET PIGMENT FOR BLONDE AND HIGHLIGHTED HAIR: Ideal for blonde and highlighted hair, this collection restores gloss, shine and revives colour luminosity on blonde and highlighted hair. The purple formulas work to deliver lasting protection against brassy and yellow tones while replenishing hydration and soften hair, giving a deeply nourishing treatment.
Products include: Purple Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Purple Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, Purple Mask, £11.00/€14.49, and Purple Leave-In Spray (UK only), £13.00.
• STYLING: This high-performance styling collection addresses all hairstyling needs. The products are a mix of innovative formulas and perfected luxury- inspired classics, all including Aurascent TechnologyTM.
This long-lasting scent technology envelopes hair strands with a divine fragrance, allowing scent notes of citrus, green florals and creamy wood notes gradually release. This leaves hair feeling sublimely refreshed between washes.
The Styling range can be cocktailed with any other products from the brand. Products include: HARD Strong Hold Hairspray, £9.00/€11.99, DISCREET AF Dry Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, MODEL Volume Wave Spray, £11.00/€14.49, and APRES SEXE Texture Spray, £9.00/€11.99.
And as well as being vegan and cruelty free, all products are formulated with a proprietary ‘AF Bonding System’—an innovative protein-based complex that creates powerful hydrogen and ionic bonds inside the keratin hair structure, building elasticity and strength from within.
All of which felt like a tall but essential order to Fitzsimons.
“With all due respect to the luxury brands—many of which I am a fan!—one of the most important lessons I’ve learned is that creating high quality, effective hair products is less expensive than you might think,” he admits.
“Don’t get me wrong, creating a hair brand is still quite expensive—that was a big key lesson!—but you don’t necessarily have to spend exponentially more to create a luxurious experience.”
The more difficult task, in fact, was putting the right team in place to execute his vision. Fitzsimons spent two years meeting with various partners, vendors, manufacturers, and creatives to get the mix right.
“Until now, much of the hair industry has been guilty of recycling the same ideas, so it was important for me to find a team that was passionate about doing things differently.
“There has been such a binary way of selling to women that is not to their benefit, so I wanted to make sure everyone on my team also believed that we should be creating and selling in a more responsible way.”
He also needed people who were prepared to face the challenge of marrying that responsibility with a provocative, high concept, high performance luxury experience–something that many brands shy away from.
“A lot of times, when brands launch, we see them offer products for straighter hair types and add curl lines later—or vice versa. My curl line is the biggest range in the collection, and we have ranges for all hair types.
“It sounds so simple, but finding people who are willing to do things outside the norm was crucial!”
As an ally of the Trans community, Fitzsimons has already employed a cosmetics donation program with the TransWellness Center in Los Angeles and Andrew Fitzsimons Haircare will follow suit as partner of this organization, as well as the London LGBTQ+ Community Center.
“In many ways, this brand was inspired by the astute business acumen of my clients,” he notes. “I have learnt so much from some of the smartest businesswomen in the world and I am very grateful for their generosity in sharing with me.”
Not that the brand means he’s going to move away from client work.
“This is a real glimpse ‘behind the Instagram curtain’,” he jokes. “I’ve been working on this brand while working with my clients nonstop for the past few years! I just haven’t been able to share the brand work on social media like I do with my client work.”
Lately, his days often involve waking up early for meetings with his team in Europe, working with celebrities, afternoon meetings with his US counterparts—then sometimes returning to work with clients again later in the day.
“Before that, I was spending all of my available time working on concepts for the campaign, testing formulas, giving notes on packaging, sourcing models, storyboarding for social media content…sometimes while on the road with clients!
“It’s definitely a balancing act but I see it continuing like this for the foreseeable future.”